Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just Let Go

Letting go is probably one of the hardest life lessons one will have to learn. Eventually we will need to know how to cope with certain circumstances that only release can calm. Sometimes we will have to let go of fear to move up the next rung on the ladder. At one point in our lives we will have to release the hold on our childhood and move forward into adulthood. It reminds me of one day when I was 11 that I went into the playroom to live in Barbie world when suddenly I decided it was time to give it up. I walked out of there and told my mother I was done playing with Barbies, she could toss them for all I cared and I never played with them again.

Other times it's letting go of a certain emotion that is ultimately holding us back. My most recent "letting go" moment has been when I realized I could no longer hold onto my anger. Three months ago I went through some trying times brought on by people I trusted, lots of them. It's a time period I'm not soon to forget as it taught me that not everyone is truly your friend even if they go through the motions of being one. It also taught me that these same people will go one step farther and try to hurt you. That was a hard pill to swallow and in the process I became angry. So angry I could barely see. I just wanted revenge, I wanted to self defend, but I couldn't have either. I was drowning in a sea of endless anger.

Now I can let go. I'll never forgive, and I'll never forget the lesson they taught me but in it's place is a happiness I've been seeking for a lifetime and an excitement for the adventure that lies ahead. I'm lucky to be out of that situation and I see that now. I'm better off for the lessons I have learned and am thankful for that now.

So now it's time to let go and grasp onto the next monkey bar in this string of life. Let's go!

No comments: